Do I need to apply for Ethics Approval?

You must have approval to use animals for scientific purposes. Only the Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) can give approval to use animals for teaching and research. The phrase ‘scientific purposes’ covers all research and teaching activities, including observational studies.

The definition of an animal in the Code is any live non-human vertebrate and cephalopods. That is; fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals, squid, octopus and nautilus. The ‘Code’ is the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.

Please contact the Animal Welfare Officer if you are not sure whether you need ethics approval.