Budget development and resources
The development of a comprehensive research budget that reflects the true cost of the research is the first crucial step when applying for external research funding. The following resources and information support budget development.
Key contacts chevron_right
The Research Office provides advice on the interpretation of funding rules and budget requests to ensure what is being requested is appropriate. The Office also help with:
- possible access to exemplar applications
- completing and approving the Budget Approval Form
- advice regarding internal approval processes for accessing leverage funding from the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research Development and Industry).
Research Faculty Liaison Officers
Research Faculty Liaison Officers are located within the Faculty. They work alongside the Associate Dean Research to:
- Provide assistance with accessing Faculty specific leverage funding and seed funding available through Faculty Compact funding initiatives.
- Provide assistance with costing research budgets.
- Establish funding alerts and funding opportunities within the Research Professional funding database.
Centre Business Managers
Centre Business Managers are accessible for researchers whose grant will be administered by one of the four University Research Centres. They can provide:
- expertise on costing your budget prior to the application being lodged to the Research Office
- access to any Centre specific funding schemes that support grants aligned with the activities of the Centre
Any Centre-specific levies or advice that is relevant to aligning the budget to Centre priorities and administrative costs should be discussed with the Centre.
Discipline Experts are part of your network of colleagues who have previous experience in creating budgets and applications directed at specific funding organisations or for a specific purpose.
Where possible researchers are encouraged to seek the input of a discipline expert or previously successful applicant to the same funding body who will be a good resource to review your application and provide valuable support.
Budget Approval Form chevron_right
- cost your project into separate funding years
- incorporate income and expenditure items from several internal and external sources either as a cash or in-kind investment to the project
- calculating budget expenditure, such as:
- academic and professional salary expenses
- travel expenses
- computer shop expenses
- current scholarship rates
Employment Cost Calculator chevron_right
The Employment Cost Calculator is an interactive excel spreadsheet.
The staff costing builder allows the user to add positions of an area/unit (except of Executive positions) into a sheet, which then calculates the staffing costs including salary rates, leave loading, workers compensation and payroll tax where applicable to an individual appointment. It can also be used to simply cost a single position.
University leverage support chevron_right
University leverage is used to support research costs or demonstrate in-kind commitment to a project above what you are requesting from the funding organisation. Forms of leverage include both cash and in-kind investment. Leverage requests can also be made for PhD student scholarships.
Requests for leverage support are considered on an individual application basis and should be deemed necessary requests that enable the conduct of the research.
The maximum cash leverage to funding requested ratio is 1:4. For example, if you are seeking $600k from a funding body the maximum CSU cash contribution will be $150k. A higher ratio will be considered for significant strategic reasons. It is recommended that your request include a brief justification for the cash contribution, particularly if seeking a higher ratio than 1:4.
How to request university leverage support
The following steps provide a guide to requesting university leverage support. Note that leverage should be in place prior to finalising the RPR Form.
1. Submit your leverage request to the PVC-RI
Send your leverage request in a single email titled the scheme name, include your name and the external closing date to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following attachments:
- A near final proposal
- A near final detailed budget/BAF
- Brief justification for the cash contribution request
- Any other relevant information (e.g. evidence of internal and external parties support)
- The PVC-RI will respond to your email and notify you of the decision as soon as possible.
2. If approved, upload leverage approval to the RPR Form
- If your request for leverage has been approved by the PVC-RI, please upload this approval (i.e. email from PVC-RI) as part of your application in the RPR Form. This should be uploaded while your RPR Form is in draft.
- If you have any difficulties with the RPR Form please contact the Grant Development Team at email@example.com.
3. Approach external partners (if applicable)
- It is strongly recommended that you commence internal Charles Sturt University leverage discussions before approaching an external partner.
- In discussions with external parties, please ensure they understand you have not received final approval to submit from Charles Sturt University until sign-off from the appropriate delegated approver (i.e. Director Research, DVC-R or PVC-RI).
- Confirm the external parties support in writing, or as per the requirements of the funding scheme in preparation for your application.
- Please ensure external partners understand that you cannot commit Charles Sturt leverage funding without PVC-RI approval.
Research Infrastructure Levy chevron_right
The University applies a Research Infrastructure Levy to ensure sufficient funding is available to enable the University to continue to provide a high quality research environment. For more information please refer to the Fact Sheet.