Application approval and submission
Before you can submit an application for funding to an external organisation to conduct research, it must be approved by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research, Development and Industry).
This includes proposals which list CSU either as the lead organisation or a participating organisation.
All research funding received by CSU requires a legal instrument which binds the University to performing research tasks and/or producing reports and outputs.
Under the University Delegations and Authorisations policy, the DVC-RDI is the delegated authority within CSU to approve the submission of all applications lodged with an external organisation for research funding. The Research Office is responsible for facilitating the approval and submission process.
Types of applications chevron_right
An application for research funding should meet the definition of research and may include:
- an expression of interest
- a preliminary or full proposal
- a tender, contract research or consultancy application
What to submit chevron_right
A completed application sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org should include:
- Fully signed Notice to Submit form
- Application form and relevant attachments
- Application budget
- Copy of funding body guidelines
- Confirmation of any leveraging funding commitments to support the application
- Draft support letter (if required by the funding body)
The above documents are to be submitted to the Research Office ten (10 working days) prior to the external funding body deadline.
For large competitive grant rounds (eg. ARC/NHMRC), or funding schemes with limited numbers of applications from each institution, the deadlines may vary and will be advertised widely in these instances.
Notice to Submit (NTS) chevron_right
All CSU investigators named on the project need to sign the NTS form and obtain the approval of their Heads of School. For projects administered by a Research Centre the NTS and supporting documentation should be signed by the Research Centre Director. For projects administered by a School, the NTS and supporting documentation should be signed by the Associate Dean (Research). Researchers should contact their Associate Dean (Research) or Research Centre Director to discuss any Faculty or Centre deadlines.
The Notice to Submit form facilitates the following research management practices within the University:
- School/Centre level approval to commit CSU Researchers, facilities and resources to participate in an externally funded research project
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research Development and Industry) institutional approval to submit the application on behalf of the University
- Research data capture that informs institutional reporting requirements
- Research Performance data for academic staff which informs the EDRS annual review process
Once the DVC-RDI has approved the application, the Research Office will either submit the application directly to the funding body, or advise you to progress with submission on the University's behalf. A detailed record of the proposal will then be held in Research Master, which is used to track your research activity and manage funded projects.