Application approval and submission
Before you can submit an application for funding to an external organisation to conduct research, it must be approved by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Engagement).
This includes proposals which list Charles Sturt University either as the lead organisation or a participating organisation.
All research funding received by Charles Sturt University requires a legal instrument which binds the University to performing research tasks and/or producing reports and outputs.
Under the University Delegations and Authorisations policy, the DVC-RDI is the delegated authority within Charles Sturt University to approve the submission of all applications lodged with an external organisation for research funding. The Research Office is responsible for facilitating the approval and submission process.
Types of applications chevron_right
An application for research funding should meet the definition of research and may include:
- an expression of interest
- a preliminary or full proposal
- a tender, contract research or consultancy application
What to submit chevron_right
A completed application submitted via the Research Project Request Form will include:
- Application form and relevant attachments
- Application budget
- Copy of funding body guidelines
- Confirmation of any leveraging funding commitments to support the application
- Draft support letter (if required by the funding body)
The above documents should be submitted to the Research Office ten (10 working days) prior to the external funding body deadline.
For large competitive grant rounds (eg. ARC/NHMRC), or funding schemes with limited numbers of applications from each institution, the deadlines may vary and will be advertised widely in these instances.
Research Project Request form chevron_right
All Charles Sturt University investigators named on the project will be included in the Research Project Request form and obtain the approval of their Heads of School.
For projects administered by a Research Institute the Research Project Request form will be approved by the Institute Director. For projects administered by a School approval will be by the Associate Dean (Research).
The Notice to Submit form facilitates the following research management practices within the University:
- School/Centre level approval to commit Charles Sturt University Researchers, facilities and resources to participate in an externally funded research project
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research Development and Industry) institutional approval to submit the application on behalf of the University
- Research data capture that informs institutional reporting requirements
- Research Performance data for academic staff which informs the EDRS annual review process
Submit your request
Send your request in a single email titled to the Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research & Innovation) titled 'Leverage Request' scheme name, include your name and the external closing date to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following attachments:
- most recent grant proposal/application
- clear proposed budget that includes income to Charles Sturt University, Charles Sturt Inkind contribution and requested leverage.
- any other relevant information (e.g. evidence of internal and external parties support)
It is essential that the request for leverage is considered by the PVC RI prior to submitting your grant for approval via the Research Project Request form.