Research Data Collection
Research income data and HDR student data are used to determine annual research block grant funding
The Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) comprises of research income data submitted annually by universities to the Australian Government Department of Education and Training (DET). The DET updates the HERDC Specifications each year in consultation with universities and other relevant stakeholders. The HERDC specifications are designed to ensure the Australian Government's research block grants are allocated in a fair and transparent way and support the policy intent of the funding.
Data collected, along with data from the Higher Education Student Data Collection, is used to determine annual allocations to universities for the research block grants.
Research income is reported in the following categories:
Category 1: Australian competitive grants
Category 1 consists only of net receipted income received from funding bodies for those research schemes and programs registered on the Australian Competitive Grants Register. The ACGR is available through the Department of Education and Training's website.
Category 2: Other public sector research income
Category 2 relates to any other income for the purposes of conducting research received from the Australian Government, whether through programs, grants or contracts, that are not eligible for inclusion as Category 1 research income. Category 2 also includes income received from state or territory and local government departments or agencies for the conduct of research, whether through programs, grants or contracts.
Category 3: Industry and other research income
Category 3 income must be categorised in the following subcategories:
- Australian private sector for profit, not-for profit charities and foundation
- Australian philanthropy includes donations, bequests, crowd-funding and endowments
- International private sector for profit, not-for profit charities and foundation
- International philanthropy includes donations, bequests, crowd-funding and endowment
- International government
Category 4: Cooperative Research Centre research income
Category 4 CRC research income comprises the following subcategories:
- research income derived from Australian Government grants to CRCs
- research income derived from non-HEP members of CRCs
- research income derived from external parties contributing to CRCs.