Fields of Research
Field of Research codes (FoRs) are managed by the Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC) and are used to categorise research, researchers and their outputs into specific disciplines. These disciplines are divided into three ‘nested’ categories of six, four and two digits. For example:
- the six-digit FoR code, 050202 Conservation and Biodiversity,
- nests into the four-digit FoR code, 0502 Environmental Science and Management,
- which nests into the two-digit parent code, 05 Environmental Sciences.
FoRs are assigned by researchers in the Charles Sturt University Research Output repository (CRO). When assigning FoR codes, researchers should consider:
- Personal FoRs – Select up to three FoRs and apportion each to best reflect the focus of your research (minimum 10%, and must add up to 100%)
- Outputs and Activity FoRs - Select up to three FoRs and apportion each to best reflect the focus of the research output or activity (minimum 20%, and must add up to 100%). These FoRs do not need to be exactly the same as the personal FoRs.
Additionally, Charles Sturt’s Research Narrative and its three interdisciplinary research spheres: Resilient People, Flourishing Communities, and Sustainable Environments, should be considered when assigning FoR codes as these represent research areas of strength that align with the University strategy.
This encapsulates research that contributes to the development of educated, healthy, resilient people.
- 11 Medical and Health Sciences
- 13 Education
- 16 Studies in Human Society
- 17 Psychology and Cognitive Sciences
This encapsulates research that contributes to developing communities that will be thriving economically, with strong social frameworks, and where diversity and harmony reside.
- 08 Information and Computing
- 14 Economics
- 15 Commerce, Management Tourism and Services
- 19 Creative Arts and Writing
- 20 Language, Communication and Culture
- 21 History and Archaeology
- 22 Philosophy and Religious Studies
This encapsulates research that contributes to the development of sustainable solutions in agriculture and water resources while enhancing the biodiversity of our environments and strengthening ecosystems.
- 05 Environmental Sciences
- 06 Biological Sciences
- 07 Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences
- 09 Engineering
View the list of FoR codes. Strategically aligned research codes have been highlighted within the list to provide visibility and direction when selecting the appropriate code(s) for your research.
The CRO Guide offers further information on how to add FoR codes to content within CRO.