Do I need to apply for Ethics Approval?
Yes, if you are doing research involving humans in Australia and overseas you will need to apply for ethics approval in most circumstances. This requirement applies to anyone undertaking research - students, academic, divisional and centre staff.
The types of activities within your research that require review may include, but is not limited to:
- Questionnaires, surveys and scales
- Evaluation of classroom learning for research purposes
- Photographic and video records of individuals
- Clinical, laboratory or classroom measurements
- Clinical or laboratory testing or experimentation using human tissue
- Counselling and group therapy trials
- Physiological intervention or testing
- Psychological intervention or testing
- Administration of therapeutic substances
- Surgical intervention
- Medical research
The exception to this is:
- Research using only publicly available information