Professor Heather Cavanagh was appointed Deputy Vice-Chancellor (DVC Research and Engagement) (DVC RE) in March 2019 having been appointed Acting DVC RE in September 2018. Prior to taking up this position, Professor Cavanagh was the inaugural Pro-Vice Chancellor, Global Engagement (Research & Partnerships) and before that was the Associate Dean (Deputy Dean) and Acting Executive Dean of Science.
Professor Cavanagh holds a Bachelor of Science (honours) Microbiology and PhD in Molecular Virology from the University of Glasgow, a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (with distinction) from the University of Strathclyde and a Postgraduate Certificate of University Leadership and Management from Charles Sturt University.
Over many years Professor Cavanagh has been instrumental in leading and developing off-shore programs, developing and maintaining strong relationships with international institutions and developing partnerships and pathways for domestic and international students.
Professor Cavanagh has overseen a dramatic increase in student mobility (outward bound), successfully internationalised curriculum at both course and subject level, developed successful articulation pathways from strategic partners to CSU degrees, facilitated international accreditation and established successful Diploma to Degree pathways for international students. In addition, Professor Cavanagh has facilitated the development of productive research partnerships resulting in joint funding, publications and staff exchange in Europe, North America and Asia.
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (DVC Research and Engagement)
- Research Committee - Presiding Officer
- AgriSciences Research and Business Park Steering Committee - Presiding Officer
- Reconciliation Action Plan Steering Committee – Co Chair
- Our Communities Governance Committee – Co Chair
Committees of the Vice-Chancellor
- Vice Chancellor's Leadership Team (VCLT) - Member
- Vice-Chancellor's Forum - Member
Other Committees - Internal
- Academic Senate - Member
- Academic Promotions Committee - Member
- University Courses Planning Committee - Member
- Upstairs Regional Incubator Bathurst Board Member
- Discovery Translation Fund (DTF) Evaluation Committee Member