IMNIS Industry Mentoring
Industry Mentoring Network in STEM (IMNIS)
The Industry Mentoring Network in STEM — IMNIS — is a prestigious, award-winning industry engagement initiative of the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE) that partners motivated doctoral students and early-career researchers (mentees) with influential, high level industry leaders (mentors) in a one-year mentoring and professional development program.
EOI submission deadline extended to Monday 24 April.
In 2023 the Office of Research Services and Graduate Studies will once again fund the participation of a limited number of Mentees (Doctoral candidates and Post Docs) in the IMNIS program.
Since IMNIS began, they have matched over 900 early-stage researchers from 18 leading Universities around Australia to industry leaders.
Mentees have the opportunity to:
- increase their understanding of industry,
- identify the skills needed to succeed,
- learn about different career opportunities,
- and extend their professional network.
While medtech-pharma and energy-minerals remain core focus areas of the program, in 2021 it transitioned to include all science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines and STEM-related research areas, enabling more STEM mentees from participating organisations to get involved. It is has also now added an internship program or past mentees.
Organisations are encouraged to recruit mentees in the following priority industry areas that align with ATSE’s Forum activities:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Digital Futures
- Energy Resources & Renewables
- Health Technologies
- Minerals & METS
- Water Resources
- One-to-one mentoring for one year by an influential industry leader
- Five (5) state or national-level events
- Five (5) professional development workshops
- Evidence-based resources and guidelines
- Mentorloop platform – individual user-subscriptions for all mentors and mentees
- Coordination, organisation, and administration of all program activities
- Expert advice and support for one year
How does it work? chevron_right
- Mentees will be mentored one-on-one by a Mentor who is an influential, senior-level industry professional
- Mentors and Mentees attend free state-level events and activities organised and hosted by IMNIS
- Mentors and Mentees receive ongoing support, connections, and advice from the IMNIS team
Mentee Recruitment chevron_right
Who can apply?
- Doctoral candidates who are confirmed or who will have had their candidature confirmed by 1st July 2023.
- Post-doctoral researchers who are within 3 years of their graduation
Mentees will be recruited for the program via a merit-based Expression of Interest (EOI) process that complies with IMNIS criteria.
- EOIs will open on Monday 20 March 2023. Apply Now
- EOIs will close on Friday 14 April 2023
- EOIs will be assessed by an internal panel, and a short-list of applicants may also be interviewed.
- Successful applicants will be submitted to IMNIS.
- Graduate Research candidates must has sought and received approval from their Principal Supervisor prior to applying.
Mentee-Mentor Matching chevron_right
Once lists of Charles Sturt’s mentees have been received by IMNIS, mentee-mentor matching will commence. IMNIS matches mentors and mentees using Mentorloop based on the information they provide on enrolment into the program.
IMNIS Mentors come from a wide range of national and international organisations and hold the following positions:
- Board Chair & Directors
- Global Head
- C-suite Executives
- Chief Scientific Officer
- Chief Executive Officer
- General Managers
- Principal Partners
- Industry Research
Time Commitment chevron_right
Mentors and mentees are expected to commit to a regular one-hour meeting each month for twelve months. Guidelines and expectations are provided to mentors and mentees. State-level education and networking events are hosted by IMNIS to facilitate broader networking and peer-to-peer connections.
Key Dates chevron_right
IMNIS 2023 Timeline
EOIs open - Apply
Assessing applicants and interviewing begins
Final List of Mentees to IMNIS
IMNIS matches Mentees to Mentors
Pairs finalised and university and pairs are advised
State launch event
Mentoring commences for 12 months to complete in August 2024