IMNIS Industry Mentoring
Industry Mentoring Network in STEM (IMNIS)
The Industry Mentoring Network in STEM — IMNIS — is a prestigious, award-winning industry engagement initiative of the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE) that partners motivated PhD students (ideally in their second year) and early-career researchers (mentees) with influential, high level industry leaders* (mentors) in a one-year mentoring and professional development program.
Since IMNIS began, they have matched over 900 early-stage researchers from 18 leading Universities around Australia to industry leaders.
- Mentees have the opportunity to:
- increase their understanding of industry,
- identify the skills needed to succeed,
- learn about different career opportunities,
- and extend their professional network.
While medtech-pharma and energy-minerals remain core focus areas of the program, in 2021 it transitioned to include all science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines and STEM-related research areas, enabling more STEM mentees from participating organisations to get involved.
It is also adding an internship program in 2022 for past mentees. Organisations are encouraged to recruit mentees in the following priority industry areas that align with ATSE’s Forum activities:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Digital Futures
- Energy Resources & Renewables
- Health Technologies
- Minerals & METS
- Water Resources
How do I apply?
Interested ‘mentees’ can apply for the program via a merit-based Expression of Interest. EOI will open from 27 January and will close on April 8, 2022.
EOIs will be assessed by an internal panel, and a short-list of applicants interviewed. Successful applicants will be submitted to IMNIS.
How will I be matched to my mentor?
Once lists of mentees have been received by IMNIS, mentee-mentor matching will commence. IMNIS matches mentors and mentees using ‘Mentorloop’ based on the information they provide on enrolment into the program.
How does the program work?
- Mentees will be mentored one-on-one by a Mentor who is an influential, senior-level industry professional
- Mentors and Mentees attend free state-level events and activities organised and hosted by IMNIS
- Mentors and Mentees receive ongoing support, connections, and advice from the IMNIS team
How much time is involved?
Mentors and mentees are expected to commit to a regular one-hour meeting each month. Guidelines are provided to mentors and mentees, and state-level education and networking events are hosted by IMNIS to facilitate broader networking and peer-to-peer connections.
What is included?
- One-to-one mentoring for one year by an influential industry leader
- Five (5) state or national-level events
- Five (5) professional development workshops
- Evidence-based resources and guidelines
- Mentorloop platform – individual user-subscriptions for all mentors and mentees
- Coordination, organisation and administration of all program activities
- Expert advice and support for one year
What is the timeline?
|February||EOIs open||8 weeks|
|8 April||EOIs close.|
Assessing and interviewing
|April||Final List of Mentees to IMNIS|
|May||IMNIS matches Mentees to Mentors|
|June||Pairs finalised and university and pairs are advised|
|June||State launch event|
|July||Mentoring commences for 12 months to complete in August 2023|
*IMNIS Mentors come from a wide range of national and international organisations and hold the following positions:
- Board Chair & Directors
- Global Head
- C-suite Executives
- Chief Scientific Officer
- Chief Executive Officer
- General Managers
- Principal Partners
- Industry Research
IMNIS stipulate that an eligible participant must be:
- A HDR candidate who has completed their probation on or before April 1, 2022 and who will still be enrolled as a candidate for the duration of the program until August 2023; or
- An early career researcher (ECR) who will be within 3 years* of their graduation date on April 1, 2022, and who is a staff member at CSU.
*Consideration will be given where an ECR has taken time out for career breaks or part-time employment